Wow, these are amazing! You got your veggies, you got your legumes and you leave behind the animal fat, animal protein, and keep all those great flavors that you use to grill with! This one ended up looking like a turkey burger with a lighter color to it, which is great! If you want to color it “beef” I think the addition of beet juice would do the trick. But let’s be honest, I love the color “veggie” best of all.
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1½ cup zucchini, grated on the largest setting of a box grater or spiraled and then chopped
- 1/2 teaspoons sea salt or to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked lentils (drained)
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped (or 1 tablespoon dry)
- 1 tablespoon of italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour
- Optional: your favorite "meat" spice mix
- Optional: sautéed mushrooms and onion slices for topping
- Spiralize or finely chop the Zucchini and let rest for 10 minutes (so the excess moisture is released) press with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Chop the garlic and onion.
- Saute the garlic, onion, zucchini using water to steam (no oil).
- Add the pepper, cooked lentils (be sure to strain them), mustard, lemon, and seasonings. Cook for 5 mins.
- Add the flour and cook for another 2-3 mins.
- Set the mixture in the freezer to cool for 10-15 mins and set before molding into patties.
- When cooled, form the mixture into patties and pan fry or grill for a few minutes to brown and set, flipping halfway through. If desired, use a Misto with olive oil to spray the pan so they don't stick.