This is the perfect item to bring to a non-vegan BBQ. When your friends are all grilling up flesh, you can lay down your slab of veggie along side it and enjoy the taste of a traditional american food with your meat-eating friends.
- 1 eggplant
- Bread slices
- a couple of romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 ripe tomato
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp of olive oil (if desired)
- 2 tbsp of maple syrup (or honey)
- 2 tsp of liquid smoke (optional, but does help with flavor)
- 1 cup of raw cashews OR 1/2 can of white beans
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp of Sriracha sauce
- a pinch of marine salt
- To make the vegenaise, you’ll need to soak the cashews for 2-3 hours prior in water. Then strain the water and process the nuts into a creamy texture, adding the lemon, salt and sriracha as you blend. (If using white beans, simply mix all ingredients in processor and blend).
- Mix the marinade and slice the eggplant. Soak the eggplant in the marinade for at least 20 mins (1 hour if you have the time).
- Grill or cook the eggplants on the stovetop until they are soft but not mushy.
- Meanwhile, prepare the veggies by slicing tomato and tearing up some lettuce.
- Assemble your BLE on your toasted bread with the vegenaise, eggplant and veggies